Lelant is a small village, formerly an ecclesiastical and civil parish on the west side of the River Hayle estuary, not far from St Ives and Hayle. The name is derived from the Cornish lann and Anta, meaning Church-site of Anta. Sadly, nothing is known about Anta and the parish church actually belongs to St Uny. In the churchyard there are four ‘nine stone crosses’ which Langdon recorded in 1896 and are reputedly some of the finest examples of granite Cornish crosses in Cornwall. During the Middle Ages, Lelant was a sea-trading village but when the estuary silted up, the trade was lost to St Ives. The family of Praed were landowners here for many centuries. There is a fantastic pub called The Badger Inn in the village as well as The Old Quay House Inn on the outskirts, a Post Office, two train stations, cream teas available at the Old Station House and plenty of beautiful walks around the area. Nearby there is also the West Cornwall Golf Club.